The Ruler Game: Learn To Read a Ruler
- Use this game to learn and improve how you read a standard English ruler (also called an inch ruler, customary ruler, or imperial ruler).
- This game can be played using a mouse or a touch-screen.
- Press the Play Game button to begin playing the game.
- A measurement to select will appear above the ruler image.
- Move your mouse (or slide your finger on a touchscreen device) over the ruler image until the green bar reaches the mark for the displayed measurement. To check your answer, click on the ruler (or lift your finger on a touchscreen device).
- For each correct answer, you will be awarded points. Your score is displayed on the left side of the Results Bar that appears below the ruler.
- Points are awarded based on the following table.
Level Time Limit Points 1 10 seconds 10 2 9 seconds 20 3 8 seconds 30 4 7 seconds 40 5 6 seconds 50 6 5 seconds 60 7 4 seconds 70 8 3 seconds 80 9 2 seconds 90 10 1 second 100
- Each time you correctly guess 10 measurements, you will advance to the next level. Your current level is indicated in the Results Bar below the ruler image.
- The timer is represented to the right of the score in the Results Bar. As time passes, the bar will get shorter. It will begin as green, then turn yellow when you have only 5 seconds remaining, and turn red when you have only 2 seconds remaining.
- If you have not selected a measurement when the time runs out, you will receive a strike for selecting 0".
- For each incorrect answer, you will receive a strike. After three strikes, your game is over. The number of strikes you have received is indicated on the right side of the Results Bar below the ruler image.
- Click the Settings button to adjust your preferences for the game.
- Timer: The default setting is On. Select Off to have unlimited time to make your guess.
- Sounds: The default setting is On. Select Off to disable all game sounds.
- Questions: The default setting is Sixteenths. You may want to learn the start with Wholes and work your way up through the remaining options for a greater challenge: Wholes, Halves, Quarters, Eighths, Sixteenths, Thirtysecondths, and Sixtyfourths. Note: The Questions setting must be less than or equal to the Questions setting. If you select a greater option, the Ruler Marks setting will be automatically adjusted accordingly.
- Ruler Marks: The default setting is Sixteenths. This determines how precise you must be when you select your answer. If most of the rulers you will use in the real world only have eighth marks, you may want to select Eighths here. If you often use ruler that have thirtysecondths or sixtyfourths marks, you may want to select one of those options. Note: The Ruler Marks setting must be greater than or equal to the Questions setting. If you select a lesser option, the Questions setting will be automatically adjusted accordingly.
- Ruler Length: The default setting is 4". You can select any length from 1" through 12". Selecting the Automatic setting will cause the length of the ruler to always fit your browser window. Note: If you select a length that will make the ruler longer than the width of your browser window, it will be automatically adjusted to the longest length that will fit on your screen.
- The current settings are always displayed in the lower left-hand corner of the ruler image.
- Settings are saved in a cookie in your browser, so the next time you play The Ruler Game, your last settings will be restored.